A Year of Towels for Rigid Heddle Weaving has finally been added to the
About a year ago I had the idea of designing twelve towel projects to share with my fellow rigid heddle weavers.
I started with basic plain weave, adding simple stripes to jazz up my towels, then as the ball got rolling, or should I say the shuttles were flying, I expanded on simple plain weave with some of the many weave structures that our rigid heddle looms allow.
Weaving towels on my Schacht FLIP Rigid Heddle Loom has always been the most rewarding weaving for me, with the need for minimal finishing and the many design possibilities.
As each towel was evolving, the next project idea was beginning to form. I couldn’t wait to start the next project and I almost felt like I was on a production line! My shuttles were definitely flying!
Another great thing about weaving towels is that they can be woven in any size, from small-sized tea towels to generously sized kitchen towels.
There is always a need for kitchen towels.
They make great gifts too! My friends and family love receiving my hand woven towels and almost expect them for their birthday and holiday gifts.
Most of these towels are woven in our soft, super-absorbent, all-natural, unmercerized
Aurora Earth 8/2 cotton.
Each kit comes with all the yarns, instructions and pattern resources you’ll need to weave two to four towels depending on kit.
Much of my inspiration came from The Weaver’s Idea Book. It’s a great reference for many of the pick up techniques and designs I used in these towels. It’s a must for any rigid heddle weaver’s library!
When all twelve projects were complete, I loaded them into two huge shopping bags and drove to my mom’s house for a photo shoot.
My mom’s collection of kitchen props is amazing! I was even able to use one of my grandma’s antique cookie jars and we actually ate the pie in one of the photos for Thanksgiving!
Once we had twelve great weaving projects and twelve great photos, it was time to design the calendar for our “Year of Towels: Rigid Heddle Weaving”.
Designing the calendar fell into place and presto, A Year of Towels Kit-of-the-Month Club for Rigid Heddle was born.
Order any of these kits individually or join our
FREE SHIPPING all year when you join!
Come join the fun!
Your fellow Rigid Heddle weaver at Cotton Clouds,
Go GREEN, or brown or natural with our 100% color-grown organic cotton yarns, Pakucho! It’s a fair trade yarn so that you can rest assured your purchase is going to provide a fair, living wage for the folks (in Peru) who grow, harvest and process this gorgeous yarn. Available in sport, worsted and finer 10/2 in 12 gorgeous naturally grown colors. Check it out at:http://www.cottonclouds.com/extras/news.asp?id=81
Can you believe there are only 17 days until Christmas!
If there are crafty people on your list, sometimes it can be hard to know what to get them. Don’t stress, we’ve got suggestions for great gifts that the fiber-lovers in your life will be happy to receive.
Our Five Tips to Relieve Pre-Season Stress will help you get through the holidays healthier and happier!
FOR THE NOVICE WEAVER
- Cricket Loom Studio Special: Schacht’s rigid-heddle loom has been making waves recently, and will be featured in the December issue of Martha Stewart Magazine. The Studio Special includes everything needed to learn how to use this great loom: a 10″ or 15″ Cricket loom, The Weaver’s Idea Book, Weaving on a Rigid Heddle DVD, and the Bambu 7 Summer Scarf kit.
- Anything But Plain Towel Kit: Once you’ve got the basics of the Cricket down, try your hand at the weaver’s perennial favorite project – towels! Each kit comes with enough of our best selling Aurora Earth yarn to make four 16″ x 24″ towels.
- Yummy BonBons Scarf Kit: Fancy Schmantzy’s scarf kit is woven from a combo of yarns in fiesta colors with plenty of shimmer and sparkle. It’s perfect for weaving on a Cricket loom and is a bold accent to any wardrobe.
FOR THE ECO-CONSCIOUS
For the sustainably-minded on your list, we love Pakucho Organic Cotton. Not only are these yarns organic and available in 12 naturally-colored shades, but the cotton is also grown and produced on a local cooperative in Peru where all employees make a fair income. Try one of these ideas in Pakucho for a gift that’s gorgeous and green!
FOR THE SHAWL COLLECTOR
Shawls and scarves are a wardrobe staple for many weavers – you can never have enough! Our kits for these favorite accessories provide just the right amount of yarn in gorgeous color combos so there’s no waste and no need to buy more yarn than you need.
GIFTS UNDER $25
- Lo-Lo Body Bar: Lo-Lo Bars from Bar-Maids are for people who wish to proactively protect, defend, and restore their skin to baby bottom softness. They’re made with the finest local ingredients available, creating non-greasy, non-sticky, non-flaky combinations that penetrate multiple layers of skin to soften and nourish.
- Potholder Loom with Cotton Loops: There’s probably someone you know who made potholders on a loom like this when they were a child. It’s one of those wonderful old-fashioned inventions that’s still popular and useful today. Making potholder is also a great activity to do with kids!
- Cross-Stitch Pillow & Greeting Card: This kit is perfect for the person on your list who loves both weaving and needlepoint. This quick and easy cross-stitch design is done right on the loom while the fabric is under tension for beautiful results!
For lots more gifting inspiration, check out our Pinterest account! There are more ideas for gifts under $25, Pakucho organic cotton, gorgeous shawl kits, and more! Plus our newest Pinterest Gifts Under $50 will help you choose the perfect gift for someone special!
And if you’re shopping for someone picky or are down to the wire and still haven’t found just the right gift, try a Cotton Clouds gift certificate! Available in any amount over $25, a gift certificate allows the recipient to choose from any of our quality yarns, fibers, kits, club memberships, spinning wheels, weaving looms, books, DVDs and more! Plus, it’s easy to order – we can email or mail the gift certificate to you or directly to recipient.
Wishing you happy hand-made holidays!
Last day for FreeShip Kit Sale! Save up to $24.95 on all knit, weave, crochet, spinning kits. We make it easy for you to craft your holiday gifts with these money-saving kits. Order today and save! http://tinyurl.com/oq5bs33 http://ow.ly/i/3H5PU
Weave beautiful scarves on a simple loom! Cricket Studio Special has everything you need to learn how: loom, book, DVD and yarn! Free scarf kit when you order by November 15, 2013! http://ow.ly/qIhCF http://ow.ly/i/3H6fG
Don’t forget baby for the holidays! Weave your favorite little one a treasured heirloom that is sure to become their “blankie”. We have lots of natural-fiber baby blanket kits that weave up quick and easy for holiday (or anytime) gift giving. Choose any one or join the club for Free Shipping! Check it out at: http://ow.ly/pn0bt http://ow.ly/i/3imi9